Saturday, February 27, 2016

Timing is Everything

Movie Review: Turn Left, Turn Right (Spoiler - Free)

          " If two people meet and they both fall in love, that's destiny for sure. If neither loves the other, even if they meet millions of times, it's still not destiny. If one's in love and other isn't, and the one who's in love grabs on and won't let go while the other just wants to run away, not only is it destiny... It's pain. "

          That is a line from the movie Turn Left, Turn Right, and it is basically the theme of the whole movie; that love can be found anytime, and you only need one spark to start the fire of love.

          So today I will be reviewing the aforementioned film, and how it just oozes with "kilig."

One of the official movie posters of  Turn Left, Turn Right.
          So in this movie review I'm going to talk about three things, namely the character(s), the plot and the feeling of this movie, I'm also going to give my rating at the end of the blog.

          First things first, the plot. The movie is about two people, who are destined to be together but by some twist of circumstances never find each other. From the plot only you can tell that this is not your normal romantic drama movie as the plot can lead anywhere and it raises a lot of questions which spark interests.

          Personally, I love the plot as from what I said before it is unpredictable; will they meet? Will they not? Maybe they will meet but one of them is already dying? Those were only a few of the questions I asked myself while I was watching the movie because it was that immersive.

Gigi Leung and Takeshi Kaneshiro, respectively. 

          The next point are the characters. The movie's success was partly because of it's great casting. Takeshi Kaneshiro plays John Liu, an aspiring concert violinist who spends his days playing for the birds in the park and fending off the unwelcome advances of fawning women who don't interest him. Gigi Leung is Eve Choi, a literary translator who prefers to work with poetry and often finds herself frightened by the horror novels to which she's assigned. 

          John and Eve has a chemistry on-screen that I cannot describe which just makes me smile everytime they do something together and even when they're just seen together on-screen really makes me happy. I wish I could say the same for the supporting characters, Ruby (Terri Kwan) a waitress and delivery person and Dr. Hu (Edmund Chen) a doctor a former university classmate of Eve. The presence of the two supporting characters disrupt the mood of the movie for me.

A still from the movie Turn Left, Turn Right

          The mood of the movie is sentimental and nostalgic, nostalgic in the sense that it reminded me of the time were people could talk with no mobile phones in the way as what is happening nowadays and because there were
moments in the movie which showed their childhood memories, and for me that reflected my childhood as well.

          Overall I can say the movie was well made;every shot was akin to the illustrations in the book which the movie was adapted from;the cinematography told the story in ways the dialogue cannot, which how good cinematography should be; the characters were likable and had good chemistry with each other; the story was a piece of fluff supported by clever twists, with an ending that I would say is quite unconventional; and finally the movie really defines beauty in simplicity.

          So to sum it up, I will give this movie a score of 8/10.






          




















                    

No comments:

Post a Comment